Hello all....a question regarding Targetmaster rifles...

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
remy41

Hello all....a question regarding Targetmaster rifles...

Post by remy41 »

Before I post, I'll note that I did try to search, but couldn't seem to come up with the right target words to bring up any results. So I apologize for this question if it's asked all the time.

My grandfather passed away a couple of years ago and while cleaning his house, we found his old rifle. It is a Remington Model 41 Targetmaster. On the barrel, near the stock, is a 6 digit number, starting with 10xxxx. No letters, just numbers. Would this be the serial number for the gun. I do understand, from reading other posts on here, that Remington didn't put serial numbers on these guns back then?

May I please get some help on possibly identifying the year of this gun (I know years range from 1936-1939) if it's possible?

Thank you, in advance.
John Gyde

Re: Hello all....a question regarding Targetmaster rifles...

Post by John Gyde »

If you would give a few more of the serial numbers it would help with the date. And yes, they are serial #s.

There is also a barrel code that will tell you the month/year of assembly. It should be a two digit ending in E or F. The ending serial # for 1936 is 127,000; 1937 is 232,000. These are from old Rem records and are approximates.
remy41

Post by remy41 »

Hey, John. Thank you for your response. The serial is 106xxx, if that helps more. As far as the other (two) digit code, there is something engraved under where it says "long rifle/short rifle," but it is two letters. Both of the letters are "F."

I have pics of that as well, if you'd like that.
John Gyde

Post by John Gyde »

F is for 1937. The first letter is not an F. Some times the letters are not well struck. BLACKPOWDERX is the code for the month. E would mean October. P would mean June.
remy41

Post by remy41 »

Here is that pic I was referring to:

I left it big so it would be easy to see. What do you think?

Also, what does that symbol on the other side represent? Do you know?

Thanks, again.
John Gyde

Post by John Gyde »

Good photo! It looks like E E, which would stand for October 1936. The serial # fits in that approximate date as well. The other stamp is a proof/testing/inspector mark.
The Gamemaster

Post by The Gamemaster »

Mine is from 1939

R H and a backwards 9
WinPlaceShow

Post by WinPlaceShow »

I have a Targetmaster Model 41-P. It has the letters "OE" stamped on it which indicates that it was manufactured in July 1936. However the Serial Number is 70XXX (sorry I dont want to give out the exact S/N). This is less than the 300,000 which I understand is what the serial number series should be for the year 1936. Did the Model 41-P have its own serial number sequence distinct from the Model 41 ?