Model 14 carbine question

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
Shawndoe

Model 14 carbine question

Post by Shawndoe »

Hello,

I was hoping one of the experts around here could help me out.

I have a model 14 carbine 32 REM with the straight stock and an eighteen inch barrel the front site is on a boss so i dont beleive it is a cut standard model 14. the date code is R.P.

My question is did some of these rifles come without the model # stamped on them? no were on this rifle can i find 'model 14' 'model 14-r' or any other model #

Thanks for any help you can give me
Shawndoe

Re: Model 14 carbine question

Post by Shawndoe »

Here is some pics. its all complete with matching serial #'s on upper and lower receiver and optional marble peep site. it is missing the butt stock plate though. Any estimates of the value of the rifle?

rem141

Re: Model 14 carbine question

Post by rem141 »

Yes, early Model 14s were not stamped with the model number. Value can be estimated by looking at prices paid on some of the internet auction sites or by looking in the blue book of gun values put out each year by Steve Fjestad. It currently lists a value for a 80% carbine at 950, a 90% carbine at 1050. Now you must decide what your carbine's condition is and also consider the missing buttplate.
The RP that you show in the picture is a proof mark, not the date of manufacture. I believe it was made prior to date coding, which started in 1921/ 1922.