Research on Remington 44-40 Slide Action Rifles

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
Tom H

Research on Remington 44-40 Slide Action Rifles

Post by Tom H »

A group of RSA members is seeking information on Remington slide action rifles marked 44Rem or 44WCF caliber and that bear a certain mark on the right side of the barrel near the receiver. The mark consists of two crossed lances topped with a crown and the letters, DCP. If you have one of these DCP marked rifles, we would appreciate getting some information from you on it starting with the serial number. Please contact hemphill@gvtel.com for further information.
NRA Benefactor Member
rem141

Re: Research on Remington 44-40 Slide Action Rifles

Post by rem141 »

It now appears that Remington made more Of the 44-40 slide actions with the DCP proof mark than they did without it. Since we have received zero response to our request, we can only assume that you members of this forum are not checking your Model 14½ rifles. The rifles in question are marked 44Rem or 44WCF on the barrel but are now commonly called 44-40. All three refer to the same caliber. The DCP stands for Dominion of Canada Proof. Please help us out by giving a quick check to your 14½, 44-40 rifles
Noel

Post by Noel »

Tom,
I finally got to that store up at home. To my suprise the 44 that had been there for years was sold. I was going to get you a full detail on it. Figures........ :roll:
Aside from the other one I already told you about I have found none so marked.

There were a couple at the gunshow on the weekend but they just had the RP stamp.

Cheers,
Noel
bluedcanoed

Post by bluedcanoed »

I just sent serial nos. of my two slide action cal .44's to e-mail address above as requested.

Cheers,

Bob