Identifying, dating and valuing Remington Rolling Block

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
davidm57

Identifying, dating and valuing Remington Rolling Block

Post by davidm57 »

I am trying to identify the age, model and value of a Remington Rolling Block rifle given to me by my father-in-law. The following is a description:

It has a 25" octagon barrel, a steel butt plate, patents dated May 3, 1864; May 7, June 11, November 12, December 24, December 32, 1872; September 9, 1873. The total length from barrel to but is 40". The diameter of the barrel oppening is 1/4" but I do not know the caliber. There is the number 24199 on the bottom near the trigger. It also has an adjustable rear sight.
Last edited by davidm57 on Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Floop

Re: Identifying, dating and valuing Remington Rolling Block

Post by Floop »

Look for a two digit number on the underside of the barrel near the front end of the forestock. That will be the caliber. What is the thickness from side to side of the receiver? Are the upper and lower tangs the same length? Is the rear edge of the receiver on a slant, or is it perpendicular to the grip and tangs?
Floop
davidm57

Post by davidm57 »

I am a novice. If you would not mind providing me with alternate ways to contact you to have a discussion, I would appreciate it. I do not see the a 2 digit nummber and am not clear on how to respond to your other questions based on terminology.
Floop

Post by Floop »

David,

As I said in my email to you, you have a very nice #2 RRB sporting rifle there. Take good care of it. :D
Floop
Tony Kastella

Post by Tony Kastella »

I recently wrote to Remington about my #1 sporter. Remington stated they had no records on individual rifles but in general the #1 sporter was made from 1868 to 1888 with abut 12,000 rifles fitting this description! MIne has a 4 digit number(6016) perpendicular across the bottom tang near the last screw.
Leads me to believe it was made somewhere around 1878 or a bit earlier. IN 40.70 Remington caliber. I tried to load a 40-70 Sharps Bottleneck and it would not lSeems the neck diameter is about 0.010" too big! But the CH neck reloadng dies form cases that fit very nicly!