1875 Remington SAA- Is it real or a repro?

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
Old Ron 1944

1875 Remington SAA- Is it real or a repro?

Post by Old Ron 1944 »

I stopped at a garage sale today. I always ask if anyone has any firearm parts or old revolvers for sale. This fellow brought out everything you see here. I purchased the revolver because it looked really well built for a reproduction. I paid $150.00 for everything. When I got the revolver home I started doing some research, and I believe this is an authentic Remington 1875 SAA revolver. I took the grips off and discovered the serial # 40. That is the only marking on this revolver. Inside the left grip I found someone had scratched the date 1886 along with some other words. I also have some pics of the cylinder dimensions.
There is probably a good chance that this may be a copy, but I don't have that much invested in it.
Can you experts out there tell by the pictures and information if this is indeed an authentic Remington 1875 SAA revolver. If it is a repro, can you tell me who made it? I appreciate any help I can get.
Thank you!
Old Ron 1944
gtt1951

Re: 1875 Remington SAA- Is it real or a repro?

Post by gtt1951 »

Hello Ron, in picture 3, there appears to be what looks like the remains of a maker's or proof mark, just above the lanyard ring (I think I can see a faint "G"). This could be a trick of the light, or some other scratches and dents - can you get a better picture of it?
George.
DavidFagan

Post by DavidFagan »

Any writing on the top of the barrel?
That's not a Remington front sight.
The grips I wouldn't be the farm on.
David J. Fagan
The Silicon Sorcerer
aardq

Post by aardq »

Strongly suspect a repo. The ammo is 22 spec. Is that the caliber of the gun? original were 44 Rem or 44-40. Pull the trigger guard off and look on the tab. If it's real there should be a serial number there. The front sight has definitely been replaced, and the grips are highly modified or replacements.

If repo there should be proof marks on the barrel, or the cylinder, and maybe on the frame.

Dan
aardq

Post by aardq »

Oops. Let me correct my prior post that the ammo shown 44 special, not 22 as written.