First Post - Help with a New Model Army

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
tlmetesh

First Post - Help with a New Model Army

Post by tlmetesh »

Hi all, brand new here and this is my first post.

I just acquired this New Model Army. It's a well-worn gun that, based on the serial number (14720), was issued to the 4th Wisconsin Cavalry Co E in August 1863. It shows hard use, which makes sense with the unit having been in the deep south during the Civil War (LA, AL, GA) and then into TX for a year after the war before disbanding.

The loading lever catch appears to possibly have been repaired and the barrel threads on the left side of the gun have been cracked/blown off - but just on part of the left side. The front sight is a mortised cone of the 1861 model - a holdover on early ones like this. Despite it's cosmetic flaws, the gun cycles perfectly and is incredibly tight.

I was wondering if anyone could provide any other info about the gun (perhaps who it was issued to?) and what it might be worth given its condition and known Civil War history.

Thanks!
Attachments
remingtoncompressed.jpg
remingtoncompressed.jpg (109.78 KiB) Viewed 1962 times
gmaque

Re: First Post - Help with a New Model Army

Post by gmaque »

Good Evening this is George McAllister. I am a Vice President and Membership Director for the Remington Society Of America. Thanks for visiting our website. I may be able to help you with some info on your New Model, but I'm not sure we can identify who it was issued too. That is very difficult to do. I have a New Model that is identified as being issued to a soldier in the 4th Wisconsin. How did you you determine the history on your gun? If you would like t email me, I'll see what I can do to help you. Email gmaque@aol.com
Thanks,
George
GBA