Remington 511P Question??

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
wiktor

Remington 511P Question??

Post by wiktor »

Hi All, I have a Remington 511P builkt in 1941 and have a question about it's front sight.It has a Lyman Globe which is dovetailed into the barrel. It looks factory as it's extremely well done, also it regulates perfectly with the rear peep. This rifle is scary accurate! Could this be original to this rifle or did some gunsmith just do an excellent job? Thanks!!
remington600

Re: Remington 511P Question??

Post by remington600 »

The 511P had a partridge front sight mounted on a ramp that reduced glare. The sight would have had been installed with 2 screws and not a dovetail. These rifles are very well built and yes very accurate. The funny thing is as generic as the gun was in its time its still built better than alot of the guns that are built today.
wiktor

Post by wiktor »

I was looking through my book "Old Gunsights" by Nick Stroebel and he states that some of the 500 series rifles had dovetailed front sights. Could I possibly have a rare item?
John Gyde

Post by John Gyde »

You probably have a 511 barrel pinned on a 511-P receiver. Does the wear & blue pattern match up between the receiver and barrel?
wiktor

Post by wiktor »

No, the wear is identical. Also, the barrell is dovetailed between the two screw holes. I thought maybe it's a case like on the model 14 where the cut for the rear wheel sight was always left in the barrels, even when it served no purpose? If it was done by a smith, he did one heck of a good job as it's dead straight with no gaps whatsoever and regulates with the rear sight perfectly.
remington600

Post by remington600 »

I was on the same page as John till you said that the original screw holes were there. Definitly sounds like someone just filed a dovetail to accept a differant sight. A pretty easy job for any decent gunsmith. They make a jig for it that clamps on your barral
wiktor

Post by wiktor »

Thanks Guys! What else is curious is that there is no differance in wear from where a ramp would have been mounted so It must have been done when relatively new. Also curious as to why you Guys thought a 511 barrel might have been pinned to a 511P? All of the 511's I've seen have ramps. Also, what about Stroebels book that says some are drilled and some are dovetailed? Just curious, as I really like this rifle. Thanks!!!
loner5667

Post by loner5667 »

Both of my M511's non-'P' versions have the post front sight with the silver bead,and are dovetailed into the barrel.
remington600

Post by remington600 »

Your standard 511s had dovetailed front sights, and your 511Ps had a ramp. It was possible that since you say you have a dovetall that a 511 standard barrel was put on your 511P action, but you clarified that was not true because you said you had the screw holes. The 511P has a notch cut on the side of the stock to accomidate the raer peep sight that you should have on your 511P.
wiktor

Post by wiktor »

Thanks Guys!!!