Remington Number 2 Rifle Questions

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
Don Kenna

Remington Number 2 Rifle Questions

Post by Don Kenna »

I have a Remington Number 2 “Rolling Block” rifle about which I have some questions. It is my understanding that Remington’s records from prior to 1921 were destroyed in a fire, so information on earlier weapons is chancy at best.

My rifle is in .22 Rimfire and, except for having the badly corroded bore relined, is pretty much as it left the factory, with original open sights. The rifle’s metal has considerable “age patina,” but is otherwise in very good condition, with sound wood, and functions perfectly.

The barrel length is 24 inches, as I’m told was standard for .22 Rimfire rifles. The serial number is 9759. Barrel markings are “E. REMINGTON SONS, ILION, N.Y.” From my research, this is the second of three barrel marking variations. Research reveals that production was estimated to be “a few thousand,” with a production period of approximately 1873 to 1910. A very wild guess would be that my rifle was made about 1890.

I wonder if anyone has an idea of how many Number 2 rifles were actually produced; and how many of those were originally chambered for .22 Rimfire. Any commentary would be welcome.

Don
Tony Kastella

Re: Remington Number 2 Rifle Questions

Post by Tony Kastella »

hello, I was born and spent most of my 58 years in whitfish, mt. don't be too discouraged if you do not get much information about history and such on a remington rolling block. I sent a detailed description to remington on my rollingblock and got a useful but not helpful general production run info. seems fire and floods have taken a tole on remington info. Tony Kastella