Help with possible Remington purchase

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
RemGuy

Help with possible Remington purchase

Post by RemGuy »

I am just starting getting into gun collecting and I think that I have found my first semi collector Remington. It is a Remington model 511-P Scoremaster. The gun is all original EXCEPT the stock has been drilled for new sling swivel studs, so there are two empty holes in the stock and two new studs. Other than that the gun is surprisingly clean and it is the original owner who is selling it. I would say the gun is in 70%-80% with the two extra holes in the stock. He is asking $100 dollars. Do you think that this would be an ok buy without overpaying or buying a junk gun?
Neuplus4

Re: Help with possible Remington purchase

Post by Neuplus4 »

Collectors seek guns in original condition. Changes like extra holes, butt pads, refinishing jobs etc. are not desirable. There are exceptions for the rarest of guns but that's not the case here. If you want a collector keep looking. Bottom line is that the extra holes bothered you enough to ask, they'll bother you more after you buy the gun.
remington600

Post by remington600 »

The 511-P is a fun gun to shoot. I see you say that it is a P model. Does it still have the point-crometer sight. The 70-80% condition I would say that it is not collectors quality, and especially with the holes drilled in the stock. But I will say for 100.00 you can not lose if your looking for a shooter, and if it still has all the original parts. A wise old man once told me "ITS BETTER THAN THE ONE YOU DONT HAVE". If your looking for a collector pass it by. If your looking for a shooter buy it. You can always buy it and upgrade to a better one when the oppurtunity comes around. Hope this helps
sieckoutdoors

Post by sieckoutdoors »

i agree with the last post, and feel that you have to start some where when it comes to collecting guns. it might not be considered a "collector grade" gun, but it sounds reasonably priced and you won't find a gun more fun to shoot. i think the more you get into collecting guns you'll find it's nice to have a few guns for "trading stock" also. another thing to think about is parts. you maybe able to use parts from this gun if you ever do find the perfect gun that may need a little work. good luck w/ your new hobby.
The Rifleman

Post by The Rifleman »

Collector?

The people you see at gun shows and the people you see on tv that are looking to buy and sell guns are looking for guns that have some significant value or something that someone is practically giving away.

In the latter case, most gun shops wouldn't sell that gun for less than $200.00: Even in the condition that yours is in.

If you live in a rural area where you can shoot a gun or if you belong to a gun club that has a shooting range, your gun would be ok for plinking targets and teaching others how to shoot a gun.

If for some reason - you wanted to collect guns, I see no reason why you couldn't buy that gun and spend money - buying the parts that it would need to bring it back to origional.

At the right swap meet, you could probably pick up a stock for $75 and then for your total investment - you could turn around and sell it again and make $50

Until that gun becomes 100 years old, there will be no collector value.

Do you have 60 years - to wait until it becomes a collectors item?

Anyone that collects guns is always looking for something that they don't have. Maybe you could buy that gun and then swap it for something else down the road and enjoy it while you have it.

One mans trash is another mans treasure.