Model 70 info help

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
texas shooter

Model 70 info help

Post by texas shooter »

I just got a couple of guns from my farther-in-law when the Ms. came back from a visit this weekend. He's getting older and bad health and I believe he trying to give them to me, someone that will appreciate and take care of them. Before the vultures start to circle as he says when he is gone. This way they can slowly disappear with out a big stink in the family.
Anyway I got an old rolling block and posted in the other forum about it.
So the Model 70. It has a serial # 721724 and is in .264 Win. Mag., this calib. I am not familiar with, but since I've just got back into guns and reloading myself I can learn and am never afraid to ask someone. So I have a few questions if anyone can help me.
Can you tell me the date of manufacture I am sure it's after '64.
On the barrel where both sights were there are screws that are flush with the barrell, did Remington ever make guns like this or is this were someone just removed the sights ? I just don't want to ask him all this.
Would the factory or better sights be available?
It came with 5 boxes of Rem. ammo he says in back from mid '60s he believes, is this ok to shoot or should I pull the bullets and reload the brass? There are 12 rounds fired and he says that is all ever shot in it. It came with a 6x weaver, sling and leather case and other than the sights there is not a scratch on it.
One more question, has anyone ever shot that .264 mag, how stout is it, I can handle a .30-06 and .270 fine, but will this jar my pacemaker outa my chest ?
Thanks for your time with my stupid questions.
remington600

Re: Model 70 info help

Post by remington600 »

You say its a model 70. Is it a Winchester. Our do you meen model 700 Remington. Your yellow and green boxes were made no later then the 80s, but we can not answere if they would be shootable or not because we know nothing about where they have been stored such as a damp area or extreme heat etc... Thanks for your help and replies on other subjects.
texas shooter

Post by texas shooter »

Boy talk about feeling as stupid as you can get, of course it's a winchester, duh! I guess I just had that old rolling block on my mind so much, Remington was on my mind. I'll never live this down, guess you should delete this post, huh? Sorry gents.
Tbury

Post by Tbury »

If the ammo boxes are in good shape and the cartridges look intact they are probably fine. I am using components that have been stored in a non-climate controlled garage since the 70s. Ammo should be even more stable. Just be sure to not fire any quick strings till you have fired enough to know there are no duds.
Mountaineers are always Free
The Rifleman

Post by The Rifleman »

I have ammo - Lake City Armory that was loaded in 1948 - 52 that is as good as any that you will buy in a store today. 30 Government - Springfield. aka - 30-06

.264 Winchester Magnum should not have any more recoil than a 30-06.

A very fine firearm - just as good as any of the newer calibers - short magnums that are made today.

I'm sure that there is plenty of aftermarket sights that any good gunshop could install - but with the 6x scope - why would you want to?