circa 1860-70 Derringer

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
Heather

circa 1860-70 Derringer

Post by Heather »

I was wondering about the history of the Remington Derringer--I understand that Henry Derringer originally created these pistols, so did Remington buy the design and manufacture them after that? Also, I have heard that these were favorite concealed guns of gamblers, etc-- does anyone know any specific stories about this? The replicas available of this pistol are sometimes quite ornate-- were they marketed toward ladies as protection pieces? Also, I have noticed a wide variety of guns that are called Derringers. Does the name refer primarily to the small size, or to specific mechanisms? Thanks for any info!
DavidFagan

Re: circa 1860-70 Derringer

Post by DavidFagan »

Heather wrote:I was wondering about the history of the Remington Derringer--I understand that Henry Derringer originally created these pistols, so did Remington buy the design and manufacture them after that? Also, I have heard that these were favorite concealed guns of gamblers, etc-- does anyone know any specific stories about this? The replicas available of this pistol are sometimes quite ornate-- were they marketed toward ladies as protection pieces? Also, I have noticed a wide variety of guns that are called Derringers. Does the name refer primarily to the small size, or to specific mechanisms? Thanks for any info!
Henry Deringer (note 1 r) is credited with creating the first derringer (with 2 r's) is now a term commonly used to represent any short barrel pocket pistol. Remington's however referred to their firearms as deringers (with 1 r) to avoid any infrigment on the name and these are quite different design from the original Henry derringer.
I believe what you are referring to and is unquestionably the most recognized "Gamblers" or "hideout" gun is the Remington Over-and-Under Double Deringer (Model 95) There are many very well written articles on this handgun including one by E.J. Williams (unfortunately I don't think he has a computer) and James W. Barnard. This can be found in the March/April 1995 Man at Arms. I believe there was also a good one in the Gun Report as well I don't have but someone might have handy and point out. Searching the Remington Society index for "derringer" in the title search also picked Wayne Mathews article in the 4th quarter of 1997, if I remember correctly that is a research / production report.

David J. Fagan
The Silicon Sorcerer
chucha

Post by chucha »

Heather - Henry Deringer didn't patent his pistol invention and thus, LOTS of companies made them.
As far as usage goes, they hit the west coast gold fields a couple years after the "rush". But were very popular. Seems the people who dug the gold were armed with shotguns, rifles, and pistols; while the people who dug the gold out of the miners used blackjacks, fancy women(gold-diggers) and had a high regard for the easy-to-hide deringer.
Most of them were sold in California for the gold field doings and also in Tennessee for the river-boat trade dealing with gamblers, fancy women and so on and so forth.
Guess it is only fitting that those pistols are still earning good living for scoundrels; Fakes abound in the collecting field, beware!

cha :D
kennth

Post by kennth »

It a nice derringer , that a Henry Deringer and I can say it's a good one.
Life is Beautiful, I love you all………
“A weapon like sword or cross bow is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands”
Luke Short

Post by Luke Short »

Heather, You asked if anyone had a specific story about a gambler and his .41cal Deringer. Well, on January 8, 1877 Doc Holliday was arrested on two counts of gambling in Dallas, Texas. At that time a .41cal double-barreled Derringer was found in his vest pocket.

In Gary Roberts book, Doc Holliday, pg. 81 Roberts wrote; "John C. Jacobs, who met him (Holliday) later that year in Fort Griffin, remembered him as follows: This fellow Holliday was a consumptive and a hard drinker, but neither liquor nor the bugs seemed to faze him. He could at times be the most genteel. affable chap you ever saw, and at other times he was sour and surly, and would just as soon cut your throat with a villainous looking knife he always carried, or shoot you with a .41-calibre double-barreled derringer he always kept in his vest pocket."
OldFotoMan

Post by OldFotoMan »

The derringer you refer to being an Remington Over-Under (model 95), had nothing to do with Henry Deringer; aside from the common name derived from his original design and then commonly given to most of this type of very small, concealable pistol. The Remington was an Elliot's Patent design. Elliot being one of Remington's original designers and employees. Here is my first model early variation without ejectors. They are very neat little guns and can be found in many books on guns of that time period or the "Old West". OOPS! it won't load here, giving me a message that the file is too big, so here is a link where you can see it.
https://picasaweb.google.com/FredWright ... vb3TqcPHKA
Attachments
IMG_1230.JPG
IMG_1230.JPG (50.37 KiB) Viewed 3961 times