Model 11 info needed

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
venisonking

Model 11 info needed

Post by venisonking »

I'm hoping that someone can help me with a little info. I'm thinking about buying a model 11 12 ga shotgun s/n 16056x. Is this the pre model 11? The reason I ask is that it has the suicide safety (inside the trigger guard) on it. The bluing is wore off but no rust or pitting. I can get it for around $100.00. Is it worth it? Will I hurt the value if I have it refinished? Or should I keep it as is? Thanks for your help.
Researcher

Re: Model 11 info needed

Post by Researcher »

If the gun is marked Remington Arms Co. it is the Remington Autoloading Gun. If it is marked Remington Arms -- Union Metalic Cartridge Co. it was made from 1911 to 1920, and that is when the started calling it the No. 11. In 1920 the company name was changed to Remington Arms Co., Inc. but by then serial numbers were into the 200000 range. It was well into the Remington Arms Co., Inc. period when the safety was changed to the crossbolt behind the trigger. These old "squareback" Remingtons have virtually no "collector" value unless in the higher grades "D" Tournament, "E" Expert, and "F" Premier or perhaps if one was in stone mint condition. So, you can pretty much dow what you want, it isn't going to effect the value.
venisonking

Re: Model 11 info needed

Post by venisonking »

Can you tell me when this one was manufactured by the serial number or just from the code on the barrel? Thanks again for your time.