Model 31 Sticks when closing action

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
Bushmaster1313

Model 31 Sticks when closing action

Post by Bushmaster1313 »

I am a new vistor to the Forum and I became the proud and privileged owber of a Model 31 two days ago.

The gun is in the 71000 range and the barrel says the gun was made in 1946.

Two questions

1) Should I shoot my Model 31 or just keep it quiet and pretty. The finish is 95% or better, with one scratch to the barrel and a little pealing of the shellac on the buttstock.

2) I am going to take it to a gunsmith for a function test and a good cleaning, but as purchased, the action sticks a bit at the beginning of the stroke when I bring the pump handle forward too slowly. Is this normal?
RufusG

Re: Model 31 Sticks when closing action

Post by RufusG »

I've got a couple '41 pattern model 31s like yours, and they don't seem to like being worked slow, so I rack'em hard and they work fine. A good cleaning might help too.
Bushmaster1313

Post by Bushmaster1313 »

Thank you Rufus G
I gave it a good spray cleaning after removing the trigger assembly but it still sticks sometimes when I close it slow.

I like you will rack it hard at the range.

Rack & Roll!

God Bless America
tudurgs

Post by tudurgs »

My M31 is the same vintage as yours, and have never notices any "stickiness". It just got it's last workout on ducks for the season, got a thorough cleaning, and is now put away. Have you broken the gun down, not just removed the trigger group?
Bushmaster1313

Post by Bushmaster1313 »

Frankly, I am afraid to do more than take out the the trigger group

As long as I operate the action with a firm grip I am fine

Do you agree there is something unique and special about the model 31? How does it compare to the Winchester model 12?
tudurgs

Post by tudurgs »

M31 vs M12 is a Ford vs. Chevy kind of thing. Because my Dad was a Remington Director, you can imagine which side I come down on! I've got two 31's - a 12 Ga matt rib gun which I use on ducks, and a 20 Ga. lightweight which is my wet weather grouse gun. If you want to disassemble the gun further, it's a bit of a bear, but I could send you a set of instructions of you would like.
Bushmaster1313

Post by Bushmaster1313 »

Thanks for the offer of instructions. But I do not need them.

Don't tell my wife I fell in love with my Model 31.

Regards

Lou