Remington 1100 410 shell capacitry reduced in some?

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
HeWhoHunts

Remington 1100 410 shell capacitry reduced in some?

Post by HeWhoHunts »

Ive got a 1100 Remington 410 skeet gun from the 80s. When I took the forearm cap off there is a long heavy rod attached to the cap and when put back in it pushes down the spring for the ammo ejection but its WAY down the shell tube, about 7 inches.

?????????????

They made a 1100 that is NOT a five shot? or is the something added that I can do something to REMOVE it and have a 5 shot 1100 410?

After 28 1100s in my life, this is a new on on me.

HELP!
thanks
Steve
HeWhoHunts

Re: Remington 1100 410 shell capacitry reduced in some?

Post by HeWhoHunts »

It looks like someone added the rod inside and attached it to the cap with an allew screw in the center and put a short spring in it. That puts weight out front similar to the magazine cap weights but inside.

Wonderful, now to find an origianl 410 magazine cap, retainer and spring.

SKR
Virginian

Post by Virginian »

You can get a retainer and spring from Remington. Not sure about the mag cap as I have never done 410s.
What could have happened... did.
John3200

Post by John3200 »

What you have I think is a bit rare because I've not seen but a couple of them, if I'm right as to what it is.

The cap and weighted rod is mearly a weight some use for target guns to add weight to their subgauge guns. Most of the Remington Target weights are on the outside like the weights on this matched pair.

But, there was another version that came as a set along with a weight you put into the stock. These sets were intended to make a subgauge 1100 feel like a 12ga 1100 target gun. I have a set for an 1100 28ga. My set is in a Remington box marked "MODEL 1100 28GA 3 PIECE WEIGHT" The 3 pieces are the cap with the weight that goes into the magazine tube. A new magazine spring that is shorter then the stock spring. And a weight that goes replaces the stock nut inside the stock. The cap/weight combo is about 7in long so it would push your magazine spring retaining clip 6 1/2 inches into the magazine tube, hence the shorter magazine spring.

Anyway, this is what I think you might have.
HeWhoHunts

Post by HeWhoHunts »

By description, that is exactly what I have.
thank you much for that.

Steve
Virginian

Post by Virginian »

In the early '70s I had a Wingmaster 12 gauge Magnum with what was called the Vari-Weight (sp?) system in the accompanying literature from Remington. It consisted of a 3 piece solid metal 'plug' that reduced the magazine capacity to the required 3 rounds for hunting migratory birds, and a 3 piece plastic plug just like it, and you could swap the pieces to custom tailor the weight to what you wanted. It also contained a 3 piece metal 'plug' that fit in the butt stock, and 2 plastic pieces, so you could tailor that weight also. I thought it was a great idea in that it allowed people like me who didn't give a hoot about recoil (I was a lot tougher then) to use and enjoy the same gun as people more concerned about recoil. Of course I never used the weights, and made a balsa wood plug! I wrote to Remington and pleaded with them to make the 870 in light 10 gauge with a similar system in the '80s to no avail. (I ended up getting a BPS 10 machined down - yes, I said machined) I have only ever seen one other Vari-Weight system. I bought the gun new in the box at Green Top in Ashland, VA, and they sold truckloads of guns back then (and now too, I suppose) and I opened the box to look at the stock wood on two guns and picked one, never having even felt the need to put it together at the store, and didn't even see the Vari-Weight system in the box until I got home. I talked to them later and they said they had only seen a couple, and there was no indication on the box which guns had it. Apparently it was an idea Remington started on, and then quit.
Your set up sounds like a similar system that was sold aftermarket by someone - I am sorry I forget who, now. The system I saw had an allen bolt running thru the magazine cap like you describe, whereas the Vari-Weight system just relied on a close fit in the magazine tube and the spring and cap to keep it in place. I didn't get too excited back then, because what I wanted manufacturers to do was make lighter guns with removable weights, not add weight to standard guns. Unfortunately, my pleas fell on deaf ears, and then the competition came along with lighter guns, and lo and behold, they sold.
What could have happened... did.