Are Remington Model 31 Barrels Interchangeable

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
Bushmaster1313

Are Remington Model 31 Barrels Interchangeable

Post by Bushmaster1313 »

Will a Remington Model 31 12 Gauge from 1941 accept other Remington Model 31 12 gauge barrels without gunsmithing? Does the series of the barrel matter? Thank you.
Researcher

Re: Are Remington Model 31 Barrels Interchangeable

Post by Researcher »

Well, I just went downstairs and checked. The barrels of my Model 31s are serial numbered to their respective receivers. Barrels between series are not interchangeable at all. In my three 1941 series 12-gauges, I could swap the barrels of the A and the AL, but the the TC wouldn't take the barrels off either of the field guns nor would the vent rib barrel from the TC go on the field guns. While the barrels between the A and the AL would swap, they didn't "feel" quite right, so I'm guessing there might be some headspace issues?

I checked the service manuel pages I bought off ebay, and it discusses fitting a new barrel. I checked my September 15, 1940, Remington Parts Catalogue and Price List with March 6, 1946, updates, and Model 31 barrels are marked with an * and at the bottom it states "All parts marked with an asterisk (*) must be fitted at factory or service station."