Purchasing a remington 1100 need advice

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
malbert01

Purchasing a remington 1100 need advice

Post by malbert01 »

Was interested in getting a remington 1100. I'm new to shooting and have been going for a few months with a friends gun.

I wanted to get an 1100 but realized there many different models: Competition, G3, Classic, Sporting, and Trap models.

Personally the G3 is the one I've seen at the store and the one thats caught my attention the most. It also is the model with the most chokes and a carrying case. However do any of you veteran shooters suggest a different type or model?
Virginian

Re: Purchasing a remington 1100 need advice

Post by Virginian »

What are you planning to use it for? If you are not going hunting, you do not need a 3" chamber, but if you are, the G3 is your only new Model 1100 choice, in 12 or 20 gauge, it appears to me. It appears to me to be a very well made gun, and it has the overbored barrel and matching choke tubes. I have not heard anything bad about it, and for that money I should hope not.
If all you want to do is bust clay pigeons, in new guns, the Competition, Trap, Skeet, or Sporting models are all very good guns, and may be more reliable with real light loads as they are 2-3/4" only.
There are also some Classic Field models, discontinued but still new in the box, available around, and they are a whole lot cheaper for what I condsider a very nice gun.
If you are thinking used, anything imaginable is out there.
I have 5: a 1966 12ga. Magnum, a 1963 12ga standard, a 1978 LT-20 Magnum, a 1977 28ga, and a 2005 Youth Model and would not hesitate to recommend any of them.
What could have happened... did.
malbert01

Post by malbert01 »

Its mostly gonna be used for trap. I was told the 12 gauge was a bit too much for hunting? because it doesn't leave you with much bird to eat lol. Feel free to comment on that, I'm not a hunter but would like to start doing it along with going to teh range and shooting trap and skeet.

I was told that the 3" chamber can use 2 3/4" shells with minimal effect on the spray and no risk to the user. I was also thinking that i can use different chokes to help tighten the spray.

Any comments or advice are welcomed.
Virginian

Post by Virginian »

A 12 gauge is not too much for anything. While some other gauges may come up short in some situations, the 12 is practically a do all gauge. You can suit the shells and the choke to the activity. After you burn a few boxes of shells trying to hit a little bitty old dove I assure you that you will not feel overgunned with anything. Whoever told you that obviously has little hunting experience.
Since you do not have a well defined area to concentrate in, a G3 may be as good a choice as any in a new semi auto, because it will cover the broadest range.
What could have happened... did.