Mod 870 - What is it?

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
James Gates

Mod 870 - What is it?

Post by James Gates »

Recently I acquired an unfired Remington 870 Wingmaster that was somewhat different. It has a short wood forearm and a blued steel folding stock thar folds over to the top of the reciever. The barrel is 18" and blued. The barrel marking are AB on the side opposite the port. On the port side of the barrel there is CYL in a triangle - REP in an oval, and what looks like a Horseshoe. Down a little farther is a T
The trigger group is metal. Is this just a common Mod 870?
Thank You...Regards, James
Dixie Slugs - Old Town, Florida
Home of the Original Terminator Slug, Tusker, and Tri-Ball
John3200

Re: Mod 870 - What is it?

Post by John3200 »

This sounds like a Model 870 Police. You don't see them a lot but they are around. I've never seen an unfired one myself with the top folding metal stock but I've seen a few of the stocks for sale. I'd guess it's probably worth in the $600 - $700 range in true "Unfired" 100% condition. The price I gave you is high according to the blue book but new 870s have gone up in price and there are those that are into the fancy home defence type shotguns. Well, that's my opinion anyway. I wouldn't pay that much for one myself but I'm guessing there are those that might.
James Gates

Re: Mod 870 - What is it?

Post by James Gates »

Thank you very much for your answer! I was thinking no one would. I don't know the entire story about the gun except it had been in storage. I thought it was odd being a Wigmaster and to have a blue cyl 18" barrel in 2 3/4"? I still have not figured out what the "T" and horseshoe looking stamp on the right side of the barrel is.
I am just going to treat it like a nice 870 and shoot it. I'm really not into collecting as ssuch.
Thank you again....James @ Dixie Slugs
Dixie Slugs - Old Town, Florida
Home of the Original Terminator Slug, Tusker, and Tri-Ball