Model 550-1 Cleaning

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
DonHoneycuttJr

Model 550-1 Cleaning

Post by DonHoneycuttJr »

I have recently purchased a Model 550-1 Semi Auto 22. Cleaning instructions that I have seen suggest removing the receiver plug, in order to remove the bolt assembly. The bolt holding the receiver plug on my rifle seems to be jammed. There are marks in the flat head slot suggesting someone has struggled to remove that bolt. The receiver plug seems loose as I can turn it several degrees back and forth, with my fingers.

I do not want to damage any part of this assembly as the rifle shoots well, as is, but I would like to be able to run a cleaning rod through the barrel from the receiver end and I am concerned with the loose receiver plug. Any suggestions?
TNyoteboy

Re: Model 550-1 Cleaning

Post by TNyoteboy »

You've got a small flat head screw that sits inside the "receiver plug" that secures the magazine tube. From my experience that model is a bugger-bear to disassemble and I don't suggest it unless you just have no other choice. I've done it a few times and it will lead to some cussing on your part before you get it back together. That plug is really easy to crossthread when you do manage to get it back together. Have you ever thought about a can of gun scrubber and a bore snake?
rsv1rem

Re: Model 550-1 Cleaning

Post by rsv1rem »

I believe TN is refering to the "take-down" bushing not the receiver plug.

If you remove the stock look at the end of the receiver under the plug, there is a little "door" there called a "receiver plug retainer" with a screw holding it. Loosen that screw so the retainer is loose and carefully unscrew the receiver plug (looks like a beehive). If it does not unscrew easily it may be cross threaded so you may have to carefully force it. Pulling the trigger to unload the action springs will help.

The "door" has a nub on it that helps keep the plug in place through ratchet action. That is why it's best to loosen it.

After you remove the receiver plug and the attached springs, pull the bolt all the way back and wiggle the bolt handle out of the bolt. Then pry the bolt backwards out of the receiver.

After cleaning everything well, hold the action vertically and slide the bolt back into the receiver, ensure the cartridge stop/carrier assembly is all the way up. The pull the trigger and insert the bolt in until it's hole lines up with the large opening (where you originally removed it) then with the bolt handle's flat up towards the top of the receiver wiggle it into place and close the bolt, then replace the plug/spring assy (do not cross thread) and tighten the screw on the "door"and your done.

There is lot's more to removing and cleaning the "floating chamber" aka the "recoil chamber", but that's another lesson :).....