722 grade questions

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
long shot

722 grade questions

Post by long shot »

Hello all,
I am new to this board and would like to say hi to everyone. I have come looking for answers on a 722 I recently purchased. It was advertised on GB as a BDL however a few things don't quite match up to the few pictures I have been able to find of the BDL's. First it has a hinged floorplate. I don't believe it is bottom metal from a 700 as the release is different than all my 700's. Did they make a hinged floor plate for the 722?? Was there an option available from the custom shop? Second on my list of questions would be the butt plate. All I have seen are the aluminum ones. This rifle has a Pachmayr thin white line pad. I have seen a fair number of switched/added pads and I would bet money this pad is a factory install. The fit and finish is absolutely perfect to the wood. The wood is of a fancy grade with hand cut checkering. The rifle was hand inletted and the inletting black is still in place throughout the rifle. No engraving or sling swivels. The rifle is chambered in 222 Rem. Mag. and was manufactured in 1960. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Aaron
remington600

Re: 722 grade questions

Post by remington600 »

I cant speak for your gun personally. Pictures would help out greatley. I do know that replacement Fajen stocks were very popular on the 721 and 722s. A lot of them had the white spacer you are talking about. A number of them also had checkering and a black forend cap that people would try to pass over as a factory BDL grade rifles. Is there any writing on the butt plate or recoil pad?

Billy Smith
long shot

Post by long shot »

Bill,
A side view of the hinged floorplate and release which is built in to the front of the trigger guard.

A pic. of the butt of the stock

And a complete shot

Aaron
Wulfman

Post by Wulfman »

From those pictures, there's no way to see what the grip cap (bottom) looks like......or see other telltale details.

I seriously doubt that it's a 1950's vintage stock for a 722.
If it IS a Remington factory stock and floorplate, it's more likely one from the last 30 years that was inletted to that 722. That wood has alot more figure in it than is found in BDL grade rifle stocks, but not an impossibility.

Den
Rem725

Post by Rem725 »

Stock and floor plate are both after market. The standard 1960 722's were stocked rather plainly. Factory upgrades were available, but the stock pictured is not one of them. Nicely done though.
CMP Pistol Distinguished
NRA Bullseye Outdoor Master
NRA Benefactor Life member
long shot

Post by long shot »

Thanks for the info guys. I was hoping it might of been one of the B or F variants but so be the case. I am still happy with the purchase, it cost me a couple hundred less than a new one with a plastic/synthetic stock in a caliber which is no longer factory available. All steel and real wood, what more could a man ask for? Oh, she is a great shooter also! Loves 52 Grn. Amax's with IMR 8208.
Aaron