Remington 141 with pics--comments/suggestions?

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
Ken NC

Remington 141 with pics--comments/suggestions?

Post by Ken NC »

I just purchased a 1946 (according to the barrel code) Remington 141 in 35 Remington. It seems in excellent shape (barrel excellent; metal 95%; wood 80+% mostly from closet scrapes & dings). Gave it a good cleaning and the operation is very smooth. I plan to shoot it some--not a lot--with some 150 and 200g factory loads, and eventually with lighter hand loads loaded with 357s (something I read about elsewhere, I hope to use this as an my entry into hand loading).

It has checkered grips. The stock is numbered to the gun (as is the butt plate, to my surprise). The action bar seems to be polished between the receiver and where it is covered by the forend (it is blued under the forend). It doesn't seem to be just wearing of the blue from the bar sliding into the receiver (too uniform) but what do I know? This is the only one of these I have ever actually handled! Where these polished in this region at the factory? Photos of others I have seen are blued in this region, but those did not have checkered grips.

This is my first vintage Remington. It is impressive in its design (Pederson, I understand) and construction. I would be most grateful for your comments and suggestions. Thanks, Ken
Last edited by Ken NC on Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
remington600

Re: 35 Remington 141 new to me--comments/suggestions?

Post by remington600 »

When you mention checkered wood and now polished in areas that are normally blues sounds like a refinish job. There are some higher grade 141s that do have checkered wood, but 85% of the time the ones you see are not factory. The 141 is a very common gun that people liked to alter. Mainly changing sights, installing a recoil pad and mostly drilling holes in the recievers for scopes or peep sights.

Billy Smith
Ken NC

Post by Ken NC »

Hmmm, that could be. But the clues I see are: the stock is numbered to the gun (at the front edge of the wrist that contacts the receiver); the forend and buttstock match in wood, checkering, and wear; the forend is checkered where rings are normally seen; and it sure doesn't look like rings were sanded down to create a smooth surface for the forend checkering. On the bluing, there is normal minor wear throughout, particularly where the magazine tube slides through the guide on the barrel. The wear on the wood is consistent with wear on the metal. Original buttplate and sights (no peep) and no holes added to wood or metal. Nice wood grain (certainly not "exhibition grade"), but no special engraving. I apologize I am not sophisticated enough to post pictures!
remington600

Post by remington600 »

Well it's quite possible that yours is factory. A picture would help out a ton but understand the issue with that. I don't computer either. If redone it could be an old refinish job. The serial numbers matching doesn't mean the checkering is factory as well. After market checkering jobs are more common on the original stocks then buying a replacement. I can't solidly answer your question without photos though so don't take my suggestions personal.
Ken NC

Post by Ken NC »

Here is my effort to add some photos. Thank you for looking!
Attachments
Note polished all the way to forend, even though last half inch does not slide into the receiver...
Note polished all the way to forend, even though last half inch does not slide into the receiver...
Rem 141 c.JPG (113.26 KiB) Viewed 3076 times
Normal bluing wear on magazine tube.
Normal bluing wear on magazine tube.
Rem 141 b.JPG (119.01 KiB) Viewed 3076 times
Rem 141 a.JPG
Rem 141 a.JPG (112.43 KiB) Viewed 3076 times
remington600

Re: Remington 141 with pics--comments/suggestions?

Post by remington600 »

The checkering is 100% not factory.

Billy Smith
Last edited by remington600 on Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
rem141

Post by rem141 »

I agree with Billy, not factory work. I think you can see where the forend grooves were removed for the checkering and the pattern was fitted into the space where the grooves used to be. The action bar is normal for a Model 141 where some case hardened pattern is still visible.
Ken Blauch
Rickster

Post by Rickster »

The checkering looks very well done from what I can see in the pics. Although a true collector might turn his nose up at it, I would happily trade you original 141 wood for the checkered wood. Original 141s and hack jobs are a dime a dozen. A nicely checkered 141 is hard to find, even if it is not original. JMHO FWIW

Regarding the blueless action bar...Although this is the first place blueing normally disappears, I would expect to see more blue wear on the other metal finishes (e.g. the front of the receiver) for that amount of loss on the action bar. I am surprised that some blueing isnt left where the bar meets the forearm wood. The rest of the metal looks like factory blue, but it is difficult to be sure from pictures. I have to wonder if the rifle was reblued but for some reason the slide didnt make it into the tank.
Muddly

Post by Muddly »

My 1941 issue 141 which was in literally NIB condition has a pewter colored action bar excepting heat treatment coloration around the portion which protrudes from the front of the reciever. I dont know if the magazine ring was case hardened or not , but the blueing practically wiped off the circular part.Remington may have tried to blue the case hardened action bar, but even using the rust blueing process it is nearly impossible to blue case hardened steel. Remember too that not all case hardening was " colored". Without the addition of air bubbles in the quench , the color will generally be a pewter gray.In the 1800's case hardening was done as a rust preventative measure as well as to increase wear life. Hot dip blueing turns case hardened steel a plum color or a brownish tinge. A good example of this are reblued Krags and low numbered 1903 Springfields.