Rem 1889 10 Gauge chamber length? info on BP buckshot loads

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Shotguns
mrmonster

Rem 1889 10 Gauge chamber length? info on BP buckshot loads

Post by mrmonster »

Hello Lads,
I hope you can give me some information on My Remington 1889 10 Gauge.
I picked it up on Gunbroker at a excellent price.
The wood and metal are in great condition considering the age, Metal is a brown patina overall. the wood id in great shape with only a small chip out of rim around the right lock which you don't see unless you get up close. The serial number is 245691 and is a grade 1 steel.

The last three inches of the barrels were dented and a small break in the soldered rib from some past accident there is some very light pitting in the bore, but not worth the expense of polishing it out which was fine as I was looking to make an original 10 gauge coach gun for NCOWS shooting and to do buckshot pattern and distance tests for an article I have in mind that I want to write. My gunsmith did an excellent job at cutting the barrels to 18.5" and making a steel insert to fill the space between barrels and ribs, and securing it with a long shank from the front bead and some epoxy to finish it off, and it looks like it came that way
The pattern withthe bulk of the #7 birdshot at 25 feet is about 14"

I think it was made in 1904, but I am unsure of chamber length. I have shot the 2&7/8th birdshot smokeless loads from BPI and the shells chamber flush, but that usually doesn't mean anything as shorter rounds will chamber in most old guns it is how they open up that matters. I want to order 30 brass shells for it and want to get it right the first time. I figure on biting the bullet on the price of brass as they will get shot a lot, and there are no paper hulls and the black powder will eat right right through the plastic after just a few koadings, beside a full waist belt of brass 10 gauge hulls would look so cool and so mean at a Ncows shoot

I am also looking for black powder 10 gauge buckshot loading data in both OO and #4 lead buckshot loads, as in how many Drams of BP and how many lead balls and have had little luck Googling this.

Thanks in advance men for any help you can give
Researcher

Re: Rem 1889 10 Gauge chamber length? info on BP buckshot l

Post by Researcher »

Every Remington Arms Co. 10-gauge double I've measured was chambered for 2 7/8 inch shells.
dieNusse1

Post by dieNusse1 »

I have a hang tag for a 10 Ga which indicates 4 drams BP for a 1 1/4oz load of #8 shot. This load was used for patterning tests.

The rule of thumb is equal volumes of shot and powder. Enjoy.
mrmonster

Post by mrmonster »

Hello Lads,
Thanks for the input, plus I found my answer to the Black Powder load question on an obscure web site.
This comes from a private site known as the Tombstone club. Members are residents and historian of Tombstone Az. and it appears they ran the same tests I was going to run, but it did give the load data I needed for buckshot rounds.
you can visit here at..http://thetombstoneclub.com/randylish/shotgun/

This gives me the OO load, so figuring the #4 buck load should be easy.

Thanks,

Donald Bowman