How to tell if a Model 1100 410 is a 3 inch receiver?

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
HeWhoHunts

How to tell if a Model 1100 410 is a 3 inch receiver?

Post by HeWhoHunts »

I had always thougth that Remington 1100 410s were all the same BUT I found one that is labeled SKEET on the barrel and when a barrel with a 3 inch chamber is put on it, the round fires fine but the empty hull will NOT clear the port to eject.

I've asked around and others have had the same. When you find a 1100 in 410 with a Skeet barrel on it already, IS THERE A WAY to know if its a skeet gun for only 2.5 inch shells or will take a barrel with a 3 inch chamber and work correctly?

thanks for any help, gang.

SKR
Virginian

Re: How to tell if a Model 1100 410 is a 3 inch receiver?

Post by Virginian »

I am not positive, but I do not think there is any difference between a Skeet 1100 410 receiver and a field model. I know the 12s and 20s, whether 2-3/4" or 3", are identical except for the rollmarking. In fact, I do not see a "magnum" action bar assembly or action bar sleeve for the 410. On the 12s and 20s the only two different parts are the barrel and the action bar sleeve.
I suspect you have some other issue. I would check all the dimensions against a field model and let us know what you find. And also check the action spring, make sure the whole gun is clean, make sure the 'O' ring is in good shape, and make sure the gas hole is clean and open.
One other thing occurs to me. I think the ejector on the 410 is riveted into the receiver as it is on the 28 gauge and the 870s. I'll bet you may need a "magnum" or 'field' ejector that is in fact positioned 1/4" further back to clear 3" hulls as on an 870. On LT20 and 12 gauge 1100 barrels the ejector is on the barrel extension. On 870s, LW20 1100s, and 28 gauge 1100s I know it is in the receiver.
What could have happened... did.
HeWhoHunts

Post by HeWhoHunts »

Thanks for that reply. Ill do more checking and also check two I have coming. I have both a "skeet" model and a standard field model coming. One gentleman told me he thought the port itself was shorter on the skeep version???

The ejector location makes more sense to me. thanks again!!!

Anyone out there having both that could double check that would be great, otherwise Ill take a look at the ejector location. I wouldnt think that would be a problem.

It's unclear to me WHY there would be a difference since both will take the same barrels and the 3 inch version I had before shot 2.5 inch skeet rounds just fine. The reason to change anything for a skeet version escapes me if it exsists.

The two coming is the reason I asked. The previous one mentioned that will not completely eject a 3 inch round is a freinds and I wanted to get this cleared up since I want to keep one of them but be able to shoot a skeet barrel AND a 3 inch mod barrel. The tournament skeet is the nicer of the two but would be less than I wanted without 3 inch capabilites.

thanks again
SKR
Virginian

Post by Virginian »

I know why Remington did it on the 870s, so you would have to buy a 3" Magnum 870 to shoot 3", although I have seen several rather early 870s that had the ejector in the rear location and would and did handle 3" shells just fine with only a barrel change.
If the ejector is the only difference, you could swap the ejector out, but then the receiver would have to be refinished so the rivets would match. Or, having just looked at my 28, since it does not have a spring like the 870s and only uses a step to eject the hulls, I believe you could move the step back 1/4" pretty easily with a Dremel tool.
Good luck.
What could have happened... did.