new model army serial # ?

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
turgeis

new model army serial # ?

Post by turgeis »

I have a curious pistol. Its a new model army, with the correct barrel markings, etc., but the serial # is 0879. Its not a beals, or an old model or, a coversion, and im sure its the real thing. According to my info, new models began with circa.# 15000. Any ideas? TIA :
huber7774@bellsouth.net

NMA serial

Post by huber7774@bellsouth.net »

It souds like your serial number had part of iy polished off during blueing. Remove the left wooden grip anf you should find the whole serial under it stamped on the frame. Jay Huber RSA

new model army serial #

Post by Guest »

Already did that; the # is correct; a clue; the grips are civilian.
gmaque

Serial #

Post by gmaque »

Did you check the rear tang of the trigger guard for the number? Also you might look at the rear of the cylinder, sometimes the number will be there sometimes not. I've had a couple of new models that had the first number of the serial number stamped 1/2-1 inch up the barrel from the rest of the number, almost like it was stamped later for some reason. I've also seen some that had only part of the number on the grip fame under the left grip. Only other thing I can think of is to look on the back of the grips, sometimes the serial number was written in pencil there. You might have to take the grips out in the sunlight to see it, but there's a chance it'll be there.
Regards
George McAllister
RSA